Friday, October 11, 2013

Insurance Denials

Just to be clear there are two types of insurance, social security and long term disability.  Social security disability has several parts: SSD which is straight disability benefits, SSDI which is supplemental for people with next to no savings or assets, and Dependent benefits which goes to your child if they are under the age of 18 and might continue into college.  Long term disability is private insurance that you buy before getting sick.  The two main differences I discovered is that SSA needs you to prove that you can NOT work but LTD wants you to prove both illness and inability to work.

Just want to add in here that I'm NOT a lawyer and I'm only speaking from my own experience with both types of insurance.  One additional note, LTD forced me to take SSD.  I didn't qualify for SSDI but my son was underage when I first became disabled so he got benefits for a little over a year.

Here are two lawyers with some good advice on disability cases.



No comments:

Post a Comment