Friday, October 10, 2014

Probiotics

There are tons of probiotics on the market and I really haven't looked into them.  I try to get most of them through eating sauerkraut and fermented beets and drinking kombucha.  The bug count is orders of magnitude higher in food than pills so are a much better source.  I keep buying kefir but don't drink it regularly.  I do use it to make creamy salad dressings and smoothies.

Anyway, I do have four probiotics that I try (not very diligently) to rotate through:

  1. Saccharomycis boulardii: this was prescribed to me by my food knowledgeable CFS/ME doctor and is available in the fridge section of your health food store
  2. Biffida: my treating CFS doc put me on this after my stool test showed I was deficient
  3. Fermented fish oil: recommended by real foodies everywhere
  4. Lactobacillus plantarum:  which I discovered in this article and thought might be helpful in my case  http://cfstreatment.blogspot.com/2014/09/what-is-hiding-in-your-gut-more-on.html
As part of my new action plan, probiotics are going to be a big part of healing my gut further.  I've come a long way in this department but am still having the occasional heartburn and am now having trouble with cruciferous vegetables.  Even my beloved sauerkraut is giving me heartburn.  Sigh....  Time for a revisit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment