Saturday, February 28, 2015

Spock

Normally the life and death of celebrities both entertainers and scientists don't bother me much.  However, the recent loss of Leonard Nimoy has affected me deeply.  I'm old enough to have watched the original Star Trek.  I watched for many many years often seeing episodes multiple times.  The show had a profound influence in shaping who I am now.  I came to understand the absurdity of racism, the value of sentient life and the wonders of science and space.  Spock was my favorite character and from what I can remember the first person that I ever admired.  He was smart, knew tons of science and had no emotions.  Having an extremely sexist father emotions weren't valued but rather seen as a weakness so I aspired to be like Spock.  I wanted to be devoid of emotion but smart as a whip and know lots about science.  He heavily influenced the core of my being while I was at an impressionable age.

Oddly I never knew much about Leonard Nimoy the person.  My husband had met him once about ten years ago when he sat in front of him with his friend William Shatner.  Hubs was mixing sound for a Klezmer band at the time.  That was the first time I found out about his Jewish roots.  Since his passing I seen some of his gorgeous photography and found out that he was a supporter of the fat activist movement.

Each time someone posts something about him I cry.  I am in mourning.  He was such a huge influence on the way I am.  I can never thank him enough.


Astronaut Terry Virts captured this photo from the International Space Station flying over Boston, where Leonard Nimoy was born.

"May the Lord bless and keep you and may the Lord cause his countenance to shine upon you. May the Lord be gracious unto you and grant you peace." The accompanying spoken blessing, "Live long and prosper."

No comments:

Post a Comment