Monday, September 6, 2010

Finances

Now that is a dirty word. When combined with a chronic debilitating illness things get even weirder.

Basically I am a very very VERY lucky person. Before I became ill I worked at a place for almost 12 years that has excellent benefits: six months of paid sick leave, they don't fire people when they get ill, they pay for everyone to have long term disability insurance. FMLA guarantees that you won't loose your job for the first three months you are out of work for either being sick yourself or having to care for someone who is ill. It does NOT guarantee pay just that your job will still be there if you get better within the three month period. After that all bets are off. Most places let you go if you are still unable to work. My place, five months later I'm still employed. I will still have a job if I have a miraculous recovery. I have been paid in full for the last four months. In the US that in itself is a miracle. Now I have to transition from FMLA protections which expired last month to the long term disability insurance which starts in a month or two. My illness has to be approved first so there is a slim chance I may not get it but that is why we have lawyers. I just found out that when on disability I get 60% of my pay which is taxable. The other great part is that the company picks up the medical, dental, vision and life insurance payments while I'm on disability. I don't have to pay for them! They also keep making payments to my 401k while I'm out sick! Holy crap! I'll keep the insurance for my family and still get a sizable paycheck. Like I said I am very VERY lucky.

Now here is where things get weird. Husband owns his own business. Since the economy took a nose dive his business has dried up. He is lucky he has the odd job here or there but that measly trickle of jobs don't even cover the rent on his shop space. Now his ego is tied up in this business. He has steadily built it up over the course of the last ten years. Until a year ago he always ran in the black. He was good at what he does and he had the business brains to run the company well. Now, through no fault of his own it is dying. He is selling off equipment to pay the bills. He is home most days now. He works on the house a lot, painting, fixing things. He isn't lazy by any means.

So here we are; we're both home and my salary is about to be cut. This is roughly the conversation that took place last night:

H: "You're Visa bill is $1800/month"
M: "That is gasoline and groceries. I don't buy anything else."
H: "Why is the grocery bill so high?"
M: " I have to eat GF food and I have to eat organic fruits and vegetables or my stomach gets upset."
H: "I can't believe we spend over a third of the monthly budget on food."
M: "Food is always the highest component of a household budget besides rent."
H; "How are you going to pay for this?"
M: dead silent, my brain isn't working since he picked the crash point of my day to have this conversation, I'm barely awake, lying on the couch only letting my eyes move around
H: "What are we going to do? My life has fallen apart."
M: (in my head) your life? what about me? I'm the one laid out on the couch unable to move. At least you can still run around, go places and work.
M: "What about getting your truck driving licence? You like driving and trucks. You could do deliveries." (I have already tried this tactic on other days with the jobs of electrician and auto mechanic. He has four good skills, sound engineer, electrician, auto mechanic and the aforementioned driving)
H: long pause "If I get my CDL and then get in any kind of car accident there are huge fines. If we didn't live near Boston that is a good idea."


Now, I've been poor before. I grew up poor. The name of the game was to work. You got a job so that you always had income. It didn't matter if you were slinging hash or bagging groceries. You worked. Now I am listening to both my husband and kid come up with a stream of excuses why they can't go out and get jobs to help with the bills. Ok. I keep my mouth shut. I don't say anything.

But around 3am when my brain switched back on again and I absorbed the conversation I just documented something clicked. What about that car he just bought? The 1950's Bel Air he is having shipped from Oregon so that he has something to do this winter? Where is the money coming from for car parts? Why is he giving me crap about eating organic when he has just paid thousands of dollars for his THIRD project car. Yes this is number three! There are two other Bel Airs taking up the garage. I no longer figure skate. I no longer buy lunch every day. I no longer travel. I haven't bought clothes in over six months. I haven't purchased shoes in over a year. I haven't even gone out to the movies since I've been sick. The only thing I do is buy good wholesome food to help me feel ok. Now I am furious! I mean really furious. I can't sleep and today I don't want to be near him in case I rip his head off.


They always say that the money arguments aren't really about money. I'm curious what this one is about. My being ill? His loosing everything? The death of his career and business? Why do I have to be punished for this? Grieving for the loss of my old self? He has lost his partner. I can no longer do things with him or for him. I am a lump on the couch. On good days I can cook a lame meal. What is going on?

5 comments:

  1. I really feel for you.

    My story is much different, as I had only been working for about a year and a half when I got in my car accident. But, my company continued giving me great benefits (I just paid the 'active employee' premiums), FMLA, and short- and long-term disability pay. The LTD pay was a blessing. My attorney and I have faught to get and keep it, but it's been great.

    Just a side note: check your company's LTD policy. You may be required to pursue Social Security Disability (including appeals, if denied), and then your LTD payment would be reduced by the SSDI amount...resulting in an overpayment of LTD benefits (since SSDI retros back). I have a great attorney, but it's been quite a mess. I don't want to add any angst, but just be careful.

    I got married a year after the accident, he graduated from college a few months later, and then it took my husband months to find any sort of job. So, our income is his low-paying job and my social security disability. We're just starting out, so we don't have kids or a house or anything yet.

    I know that my illness has been stressful on my relationship with my now husband. Both of us are struggling with many of the things you describe. He's in a job that has nothing to do with his degree that he just spend years earning. I feel useless much of the time. I've had to stop graduate school, etc.... the list goes on. I don't know if you believe in God, but my faith is what has picked me up many times when I felt like I couldn't pick myself up.

    It sounds like everything has just all hit at one time, and you're going to need each other to work through it. You are both trying to deal with loss, and grieving is definitely a process. I haven't been able to read this book yet, but it was suggested to me by a dear friend - Recovering from Losses in Life by H. Norman Wright. It's about the little and big changes and losses that happen through life. You might check into it. Perhaps we can both read it and discuss it, if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the long comment. Makes me feel like I'm not the only one out there struggling with these issues. People don't like to talk about finances but I think it needs to be discussed to some degree so that we can share solutions to the odd problems that crop up for us chronic chicks.

    My marrage is a bit different since we are having our 20 year anniversary this year. We did the whole poor as church mice thing when we first got married. We now own more of our house than the bank does. Yipee!! We both had good well paying jobs for the last ten years so we went into this mess with only the house debt to contend with. We also have 20 years of shared finances behind us and most relationship issues already hammered out. We aren't perfect as you can tell from the couple of gripe sessions I've posted here but we aren't fighting each other to the death either. We can resolve this but it will take time. Particularly with my brain fog. I often don't figure things out till the next day :-)

    I do have to apply for SSD and it will be subtracted from the LTD. I have to apply for the SSD within 90 days of starting LTD and the LTD process can take up to two months to process so I'm starting that now for the Novemeber kick in date. I just found an excellent web site that I just added to my link list, "Legal Advocate". It has lots of free useful information regarding benefits and insurance issues.

    I think my husband is grieving multiple losses at this point; his job, his business, me, and he also lost his mom three years ago which hit him very hard. He is having a tough time of it.

    I follow more of a Buddhist philosophy so I seem to be handling this a bit differently but then again we are all different. In Buddhism we belive that all things are impermanent, all things change and we have a frail human body. I will look into the book. It sounds good and I love talking about books with people. Shall I put the word out and maybe we can get a whole group together to work through the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have a group work together through the book. It's by a grief and trauma counselor. It's from a Christian perspective, which may turn some people away; but I'd love to read and discuss it with anyone else interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might check this out: http://blogs.psychcentral.com/mindfulness/2010/09/how-to-be-sick-an-interview-with-toni-bernhard/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should mention this. I was just checking out her book, How to be Sick, before we started chatting. I'll start putting together a new blog for the bookclub. I'm going to make it inclusive because I want to encourage people from all religious and philosophical perspectives to participate. We have so much to learn from each other. I think this will be a great thing.

    ReplyDelete