Friday, May 24, 2013

Magic Mushrooms

Beware the magic mushrooms.

I'm in constant search of things that might make me even marginally better.  I feel like such crap most of the time I will take any improvement.  I've had several successes; glutathione IVs, switching to pastured meats, equalibrant, sunbathing, taking low doses of celebrex and trazadone to name a few.  These have all helped to function somewhat better.  So I've got my ears out listening for things that have helped others.  Things that I haven't tried yet.

On one of the patient forums one person had tried a Reishi mushroom supplement.  Click here for more information.  She is doing better than she has done in years.  I read a little about it and decided I would try it.  HOWEVER, I skipped doing the one thing I ALWAYS do before trying new meds: check for side effects BEFORE taking the stuff.  Why?  Hell if I know.  Brain spasm I guess.  My problem solving abilities are pretty much compromised at this point.  So my bad.  I took one pill (the dose is three) and shortly thereafter my blood pressure crashed.  I didn't know what was going on.  My legs ached and I felt terrible.  I very quickly ended up in bed passed out.  I should probably have called the doctor but I had no idea what was going on.  And my problem solving/decision making abilities aren't so hot right now.

Of course after I woke up THEN I looked up the side effects:  http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-905-REISHI%20MUSHROOM.aspx?activeIngredientId=905&activeIngredientName=REISHI%20MUSHROOM

And low and behold I figured out what went wrong.  Nuts!  No more magic mushrooms for me.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS check the side effects BEFORE taking any new meds or supplements.  Be on the look out for any weird symptoms after taking a new pill.  And remember the weird symptoms you are experiencing may NOT be CFS/ME but actually a reaction/side effect and you may need medical attention.  Ugh!  Hopefully, I'll remember next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment