Sunday, July 21, 2013

In Memoriam

My friend from college passed from this world today after a battle with cancer.  This is my first friend that has passed.  Oh there have been funerals.  Many many funerals but they have all been either family or friends of family.  Most of them quite old who passed after living long full lives.  My friend who passed today was a year younger than me.  She was a lovely lovely lady.  She touched everyone with her kindness and generosity.  She will be missed greatly.

I am struck by sheer exhaustion and physical pain from grief and stress.  The one glimmer of hope I had today was realizing that my son's health has improved greatly since last week.  The antibiotics are working.  He is feeling much better but is still a bit off.  He still can't exercise much and the heat bothers him greatly.  However, he is miles better compared to last week.

So it is with mixed feelings that I head for bed tonight.  Tired.  Sore.  Happy.  Sad.  Grief stricken.  Hopeful.  Tomorrow is another day and the heat wave will have passed.  Things will improve.  Goodnight my dear friend.

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.

Mary Frye, American poet (1904 - 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment