Sunday, December 4, 2011

Diet

This is one of the reasons I decided to change my diet:



Despite the drastic crashes, I am doing better than I have been during this past year.  I'm driving and cooking again.  I'm still not up to the nine cups of fruit and vegetables that Dr. Wahls recommends but I'm getting there.  My biggest problem has been gastric acid.  The cruciferous vegetables produce stomach acid.  The week I managed to eat tons of vegetables with spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, or brussel sprouts at most meals I thought my stomach was going to sear a hole right through my chest.  I've backed off the amounts but have added kelp and digestive enzymes to my supplements and am going to add sulfur as well.  Here is my current average day:

breakfast: sauteed greens (kale, chard or spinach) with 1 or 2 pastured eggs either poached or as a cheese omelet with sage
snack: yogurt and Paleo bread (a bread made with almond flour and flax meal)
dinner: pastured meat, 2 veg and sometimes a starch such as potato or rice
late meal: fruit, cheese and nuts
drinks: raw milk, kombucha (fermented tea), fresh carrot juice with a beet added in, filtered water, black tea with raw milk no sugar
treat: handful of dark chocolate

3 comments:

  1. Sounds very intriguing, though I can't imagine trying this with teen boys int he house!! We may need to try gluten-free for Jamie, and his favorite foods are cereal, bagels, pancakes. It would be a tough transition for him and hard to maintain when he goes off to college next year. We'll see what the doctor says this week.

    Meanwhile, I look forward to hearing more about your progress!

    Jamie and I are trying Digestive Enzymes, too. The first brand we tried did nothing, so I tried a different brand and was surprised to see that the list of ingredients is entirely different! So, we'll see how these go. Let me know if you find a particular brand that helps.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep me posted regarding the digestive enzymes. Not sure mine are doing anything as I had another bout of heartburn yesterday after eating a pile of kale.

    Yes, going GF is difficult. The way I managed it was to try it for two weeks. I felt such a huge difference I stuck to it. I've now been GF for six years. I'm switching to grain free because most of the GF stuff I like is corn based which is GMO based. I'm trying to get all GMOs out of my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GMO = genetically modified organizm

    ReplyDelete