Monday, December 5, 2011

Zinc

There is this neat stuff that I heard about from another blogger, Cheeseslave.  It is called Zinc Tally.  It is a simple test for zinc.  Now I've been taking a heavy dose of zinc since the spring and was getting curious how my levels were so that I could either quit taking it or maintain my dose.  I happened to notice a bottle of the Zinc Tally on my chiropractor's desk.  I asked him if I could get tested.  You take a few ounces and swish it around in your mouth for ten seconds if it tastes like nothing you are short in zinc.  If it tastes terrible then you are fine.  Somewhere in between and you are deficient but not horribly low.  Guess what?  To my surprise I was deficient.  Yup.  No taste at all.  How weird is that?  I've been on this stuff for over six months now.  Of course, it is one of those supplements that I've not been good about taking thinking I had too much in my system.  So now I need to get a better zinc supplement.  I've been taking 20mg of monomethionine (heck I have no clue what it is and I took geochem).   I need to check with my doc and find out what I should be taking cuz this stuff isn't cutting the mustard.

http://www.metagenics.com/pics/products/main/zinc-tally.png
BTW, you can get Zinc Tally from iherb.com.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a strange subjective test... how interesting! Shouldn't they check your blood to get a level?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going in for my annual and will get blood levels checked then. This is a fast and cheap test that can be done at home. My chiropractor told me that the taste is really nasty when you have enough zinc in your system and you'll want to spit it out as soon as it hits your tongue. The fact that it had no taste at all after 30 seconds means I'm deficient. Considering I've been deficient in every vitamin and mineral I've ever been tested for I'm not too surprised that this is just another one on the long list. Apparently CFS has really made my digestion go on the fritz.

    ReplyDelete