Sunday, September 25, 2011

Glutathione IV: Week One, Part One

On Friday morning I received my first glutathione IV.  I think it was 500mg and it took about 20 minutes.  I had a book with me but I choose to meditate instead.  The IV went in fine and I was comfortable.  I did a meditation that drew white/blue light in through the top of my head and slowly filled up my entire body.  Oddly enough when I finally managed to get the light to my toes and finger tips and I was beginning to feel light and airy I opened my eyes to find that the bag was empty and the last of the fluid was draining slowly into my arm.

The only thing I noticed was a metallicy taste at the back of my mouth and slight nausea.  The nurse explained that I might have a herx reaction but should be feeling better by the next day.

I went home had lunch.  Drank a large water and took some activated charcoal pills to get the toxins out of my system.  I then went and managed to have a nap for several hours.

What is confounding the issue is that fact that the day before there was a family trauma.  One of my cats suddenly became ill and had to be rushed to the vet.  There we found out that she had some sort of mass on her liver that had started to bleed-out sometime during the day.  She was now on death's door and it would cost at least $5000 to stabilize her and we still might loose her.  She was a little over ten years old and had lived a good long life.  While horrible we decided that we had to euthanize her.  There was little chance that she would have survived very long past the surgery needed to stop the bleeding.  Needless to say we were devastated.  I cried.  My son cried.  My husband did his best to console us.  We hugged and cried some more.  When we finally sat down to family dinner four hours late it was a silent and gloomy dinner.  None of us really felt like eating at all and there were lots of leftovers.  My son and I didn't sleep well that night.  I think I got about three hours and my son maybe six.  So mixed in to my reaction to the IV are all of my reactions to grief.

My second cat came and woke me from my nap demanding her dinner.  I felt woozy and nauseous and had a horrible taste at the back of my mouth.  I couldn't decide if it was metallic or sour stomach.  Anyway, I got up, fed the cat and took more activated charcoal.  Hubby came in demanding dinner so I heated up leftovers from the night before.  A nice simple low energy dinner.  I sat and ate a large plate of food.  Apparently my appetite was back.  I did feel better afterwards.  I was still tired and weird and had the horrible taste in my mouth.  It was annoying enough that I looked it up on the internet.  The only thing that seemed to help was sipping at my Kombucha (fermented tea which has a slightly sour taste).  Slowly the nausea returned.  I tried eating small snacks which would help for only a half hour or so.  I tried milk with the same results.  Eventually I gave in and ate some Pepto Bismol tablets.  They helped enough that I could go to bed without throwing up.  However, I didn't put in my dental appliance just in case.

This morning I woke up early at 9:30am which is unusual.  I had a good nights sleep which is miraculous without my dental appliance but I was still a bit tired a groggy.  I had tea while hubby made me breakfast.  I tried to take a nap but was roused out of bed by a phone call from the crematorium.  This started another crying jag that lasted a while.  My son came home from his overnight so we sat talking and then we both got onto the internet.  I finally got up and showered.

You see yesterday was our 21st anniversary and we never got to go to celebrate due to the disaster.  So I showered and I had my lie down which I have to do after I shower.  Then next thing I know I've been asleep for almost two hours.  Now I am finally starting to feel almost normal.  I'm still wonky.  I'm still a bit groggy but excited to be going out.  I get dressed and off we go to dinner and then spent an hour going around Barnes and Noble.  I got a huge stack of books.  A nice mellow night out.

It is now midnight.  I'm very very tired which is weird for me since I normally go to bed at 3am and I had a that long afternoon nap.  It is even weirder since I had both dessert and coffee at dinner which usually keeps me up until 5or 6am.  My nausea is back and I've already taken some charcoal.  Milk is next or maybe I'll head straight for the Pepto.  But I do see an early bedtime in my near future.

I wish I could tell what reactions are from grief and what is from the glutathione but they are inextricably intertwined.  I'll have to wait until next week to sort it out when I have gotten over the shock of loosing my beloved cat.


  1. First I am soooo sorry about your loss! Losing a pet is sooo hard.

    Second, I hope the treatment get a little easier to handle. I didn't realize nausea and all that came with it.

    Thirdly, I didn't realize that you could take charcoal to soak up toxins. Wish I had known that when I got poisoned. Wow. Smart idea.

    Hope you start seeing more and more improvements.!

  2. I think the nausea is from die off. I was also coughing a lot. It felt like crud was coming loose from my lungs. Not badly but enough that I was coughing quite a bit. It did feel like I could breath better.