Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mystery Solved

Talked to my doc today.  Thank goodness he didn't train in the US.  We discussed the last IV I had and all the weird stomach symptoms I've been having plus all the diet changes I've made.  And guess what!?!  I've been eating too healthy!  Yup too much cabbage and kale in my diet.  Turns out they both cause the generation stomach acid.  My doc used to do this on purpose where he trained in medicine so that they could measure a person's ability to produce stomach acid.  They would make the patient fast and then feed them cabbage.  Hence I gave myself a sour stomach from eating kale daily and of course the huge load of cabbage I ate last Saturday.  Not to mention trying kraut juice.

So, the current game plan is to get my IV of 1000mg tomorrow as scheduled.  No more kale, cabbage or kraut juice until my stomach settles back to normal.  Then I start introducing kale back in slowly.  When I can tolerate it I can start adding cabbage juice back in but only a tablespoon at a time.  Then I can add actual cabbage.

I knew that beets and kraut could give me trouble but I never considered cabbage or kale to be a problem.  I grew up eating cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts.  I love them.  I stopped eating them since hubby hates them.  I was very excited to reintroduce cabbage into my diet and was excited to try new leafy greens.  Turns out that I love kale and swiss chard.  However, I never knew that I had to slowly introduce them into my diet.  Of course my stomach being testy has been a problem since I first contracted CFS.  I couldn't eat during the entire first month of the illness and my acupuncturist put me on double boiled rice so that I could get something down.  I dropped ten pounds during that time period.  Not the recommended way to loose weight.

Anyway, mystery solved.  It wasn't the glutahione.  I just have to go more slowly with the diet changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment