Sunday, November 21, 2010

As Seen on TV

I haven't done a pop culture post in a long long time so I am due.  Here are some of the movies and shows I've been mostly downloading off Netflix instant watch.  If you are an SciFi nut you'll like half of them and if you're a chick flick nut you'll like the other half.  So I'm a girl geek :-)


Movies:
It's Complicated
     Love it.  I'll probably watch it again.  The lead characters are great and there are some great funny moments in it, one of which had both my Mom and I in tears. 

Billy Elliot
    Again love it.  A movie about a boy that prefers ballet to boxing.

Flawless
    Good date night movie.  Watched this one with hubby.  It is a good heist movie with Demi Moore and Michael Caine.  Good plot twist.  The two things I adore about this movie are the sets and costumes.  It is set in the 1960's.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
     Love it but watch it when you're brain is working.  It is the last movie Heath Ledger made.  It is a wonderful weird movie that I'm going to have to watch again since I was in a brain fog the first time I saw it.  Terri Gilliam need I say more.

The Brothers Grimm
     While I haven't seen this one in a while I need to see it again.  Another Terri Gilliam movie with Heath Ledger.  Wonderful costumes, sets, makeup and a great plot.

Dragnet
     Another great date night movie.  Hubby and I watched this about a month ago.  It is a parody of the original Dragnet TV show which I am old enough to remember.  Dan Aykroid is brilliant in this.

Hairspray
     Good Mom and me movie.  I had never seen either the play or the movie before and I was pleasantly surprised at the sophistication of the plot.  Of course the music and dancing were fun too.  I can see why the revival did so well; the story is just as relevant today as it was when it was made.  The version available for instant view is the old movie.  I think the new one with John Travolta is only available on disk.

Something to Talk About
      Okay Julia Roberts movie.  Good way to kill time on a slow day.  I prefer some of her other movies such as Notting Hill or Runaway Bride.

Love Me If You Dare
     Strange French movie with subtitles.  I liked this movie because I couldn't anticipate what was going to happen.  However from a moral standpoint this movie leaves a lot to be desired.  This is a couple that needs some serious therapy due to a highly dysfunctional relationship.   Don't watch it if depressed due to the ending.  I have serious mixed feelings about it.  I was fascinated by it and had to watch the whole thing to see how it turned out but horrified by the cruelty the two main characters inflicted on each other.

Mystic Pizza
     Finally watched this movie to see what all the fuss was about.  Another good movie to kill some time on a rainy day.  Again not one of my fav Julia Roberts movies but not bad either.

New In Town
     Fun Renee Zelwegger and Harry Connick Jr movie.  Not cinematic excellence but I'm going to watch it again for the heck of it.

The Snow Walker
     I really liked this movie.  It is neither a chick flick or an SF movie.  It is a survival movie about a pilot who goes down in the Alaskan wilderness.  I highly recommend it.

Amelie
     Another French movie with subtitles.  This one I liked a lot.  It is about a girl who finds a box of lost toys in her apartment and tries to reunite them with their owners.  Another strong recommendation.

Mrs. Winterbourne
     Good fluffy movie.  Shirly MacLane, Riki Lake and Brenden Frasier.

Confessions of a Shopaholic
     Only see if you a totally bored and are semi-brain dead and have run out of other things to watch on Netflix.

Marilyn Hotchkiss's Ballroom Dancing...
     I really liked this little film.  I had never heard of it before but enjoyed it.

My Best Friends Wedding
     A decent Julia Roberts movie.  I've seen it a few times on regular TV.

Rory O'Shea Was Here
     Fantastic movie.   Highly recommend it.  A bit heart wrenching in bits but a great message about living life to the fullest.

Outsourced
     Wonderful Indie movie.  I saw it the first time on my own and then had to show it to my Mom.  Yes, it is the movie that the new TV show is based upon but the movie is SO much better.  I highly recommend this one as well.

TV:
Science Fiction
X Files
Eureka
Dr Who
Torchwood (a more adult orientated spin off of Dr Who: LOVE IT!)
Dead Like Me
The Tick
Farscape
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate Universe (It is very dark and depressing so I only watched a few episodes.)
Dresden Files (LOVE IT!)
Dollhouse

Chick Shows
Middlemarch
Poldark
Doc Martin
Robin Hood (BBC version)
Pushing Daisies
The Tenant of Windfell Hall
North and South

Other Randomness
Better Off Ted (comedy)
Art 21 (art documentary series)
Jeff Dunham (comedy specials)
Tudors (historic drama series)
Spongebob Squarepants (yes I'm a closet Spongebob fan)
Nip/Tuck

Going through my Netflix history I can't believe the number of things that I've watched over the past six months of my illness.  I also can't believe the number of movies I've watched that I have absolutely no memory of.  I'll just have to watch them again.  I'm really going to have to start rating them all so I know when I go back over the list which ones are worth seeing again if I've forgotten them.

No comments:

Post a Comment